- February 14th – A day for lovers all over the world.
- A day to celebrate how amazing our mums are.
- A religious holiday and a chocolate threat day too.
- A day to celebrate how brilliant our dads are.
Say it with… a card
- 25 million cards sent on valentine’s day.
- 30 million cards sent on mother’s day.
- 7 million cards sent on father’s day.
How much is your love worth?
- Up to £2.4 billion is spent on valentine’s day.
- Mother’s day is worth over £1.5 billion.
- Father’s day is worth of £1 billion.
- Up to £95 million will be spent on chocolate
- Up to £467 million will be spent on jewellery
- Up to £87 million will be spent on lingerie
- Over 7 milllion red roses are given on valentine’s day.
- British people spend around £30 million on flowers each valentine’s day alone.
- 90% of valentine’s day flowers are bought by men.
- Mother’s day is the biggest event in the UK’s cut flower industry, increasing by 40%.
- Flowers are the most popular mother’s day gift with 7 million bunches being sold.
- 90 million chocolate eggs are sold in the UK each year.
- In the UK each child receives an average 8.8 easter eggs each year.
- Sales at Easter time make up 10% of UK chocolate spending for the whole year.
- Up to £250 million spent on luxury food and drink hampers.
- Up to 9 million mothers will receive health and beauty gift sets.
- 2 million mothers will receive jewellery worth an estimated £90 million.
- £60 million worth of chocolate will be purchased for mother’s day.
- Surprisingly, the most popular father’s day present is a tie!
- Around £198 million will be spent on tools, appliances and DIY goods.
- Around £184 million will be spent on CDS, DVDS and books.
- Around £58 million will be spent in sporting goods.
Did you know?
- 3% of pet owners give a valentine’s day gift to their pet.
- The tallest chocolate Easter egg ever was made in Italy in 2011. It stood 10.39 metres high (taller than a giraffe and heavier than an elephant!) and weighted 7,200 kg.
- Almost one in five kids (19%) say they’ve made themselves ill by eating too much chocolate over the Easter holidays.
- Hallmark manufactures 1,300 different cards specifically for Valentine’s Day.
- More than one billion valentine’s day cards are exchanged each year around the world.
- On average men will spend £97.12, women will spend £91.89 on their partners on Valentine’s day.
Infographic by Baines & Earnst