Number of marriages in the last statistical year, there were 234,464 marriages in England!
Marriages have increased +6.6% over the last two statistical years.
- 1912 283,834 marriages.
- 1929 Wall Street Crash 313,316 marriages.
- 1939 beginning of World War 2 439,694 marriages.
- 1940 470,549 marriages.
- 1979 Margaret Thatcher Elected 368,853 marriages.
- 1997 Tony Blair Elected 272,536 marriages.
- 2008 Banking Crash 235,794 marriages.
100 Year Marriage Trend (England & Wales)
- Monday 9,912 4%
- Tuesday 8,801 3.5%
- Wednesday 10,023 4%
- Thursday 14,595 6%
- Friday 46,429 19%
- Saturday 139,614 57.5%
- Sunday 15,154 6%
Saturdays are of course the most popular day to marry in England and Wales.
Tuesday is the least popular.
42% of marriages take place in hte months of July, August and September.
Turland is the most popular local authority for marriages (number of marriages per capita of population). More generally, the most popular region of England for marriages is The South West.
The least popular local authority to marry in is Sandwell in the West Midlands which has only 25% of the usual number of wedding per capita (compared to the average for the whole of England). The next least popular local authorities are Walsall, Luton, Stoke on Trent and Sunderland.
- 33.2 Average age men marry.
- 30.9 Average age Women marry.
Infographic by The Wedding Secret.