How to transform your dissertation from A 2:1 into a 1st
Ever wondered what is required to turn a 2:1 into a 1st?
This infographic gives you a bitesize breakdown on what you need to do to make your dissertation that little bit better…
Grades Achieved by Students in 2011/12
2:1 46% VS 1st 16%
- Good interesting title
- Relatively new area of study or updated research on established topic.
- Original and innovative title
- New and creative topic of study
- Precisely written
- Good synopsis of dissertation that summarises each part effectively. States the results of the study and the outcome of the research
- Precise and succinct synopsis of the dissertation. Identifies how the research and outcomes affect the area of study.
- Uses key terms
Subject with most firsts: MATHS
- Clearly written introduction although possibly lacking in detail
- Some reasoning provided for area of research, although possibly not strong reasoning
- Focused and detailed introduction which thoroughly explains the topic and introduces the research
- Justified reasons for area of research
- Research topics is new and/or innovative – very little research has been done in this area before
Aims & Objectives
- Some justification is provided for aims however may not be fully justified or explained in clear detail.
- Aims and objectives are clearly stated though not as complex
- Comprehensive, persuasive and justified rationale for aims
- Aims and objectives are complex and interesting
- Sound knowledge – a good amount of literature is reviewed possibly some old sources and some newer
- Some critical review is given but not in great depth
- A clear, appropriate and justified conceptual framework to base the research upon is developed
- It can be seen that the literature review covers the same topic as the aims and objectives but it is not made perfectly clear how they link
- Comprehensive knowledge the literature review covers a wide span of literature and is very up to date
- Full critical review of literature going into detail
- A coherent and fully justified conceptual framework to underpin research is developed
- Literature review provides clear links that directly relate to aims and objectives
- A relevant and appropriate methodology is used, though likely to be standard methods.
- Some understanding of possibility and limitations is shown
- Implmentation of data collection methods appropriate and relevant
- Research methods are explained but not fully justified
- A very innovative and creative investigative methodology is used.
- Full knowledge and awareness of all possibilities and limitations of methods are clear
- Research methods are explicity laid out and clearly justified
- Implementation of data collection methods are highly appropriate and relevant
- Exceptional data collection efforts made
Analysis of Findings
- A good analysis is provided though it may not be in extensive detail
- A standard and exepcted analysis of the findings is presented in a clear way
- Evidence of the validity and reliability of findings present
- Very good and crtical appraisal of issues arising from findings
- Generates a complex analysis based on findings
- Uses a range of data to create interesting and varied analysis, including findings outside and above research aims
- Extensive evidence of the validity and reliability of findings
- Exceptional and critical appraisal of issues arising from findings
- Ability to perceive new data and relationships
Subject with least firsts: LAW
- The conclusion leads on from the analysis and may repeat findings and provide logical conclusions based on research evidence
- The conclusion is written clearly and concisely, it is well rounded and refers back to aims, objectives and findings of research bringing the whole disserttation together
- Conclusion forms incisive judgement showing independent thought
- Appropriate recommendations are provided which cover the same topic and may relate to conclusions
- Some critique of recommendations may be present
- Thoughtful recommendations that relate directly to the research and provide insightful further reading
- Insightful critque of recommendations is provided
Reflections / Limitations
- Ability to state reflections / limitations and defend them though on a more generic basis.
- Ability to state reflections / limitations and defend them with individual flair and imagination
- Appendices include all relevant information including figures, table and data sets
- All relevant figures, tables and data sets are included extensively in the appendices
- Appendices are correctly and efficintly labelled and are easy to navigate
Bibliography / References & Citations
- A good number of sources are used, though they will be standard material from course textbook / recommended reading.
- Citations and references almost always given in appropiate style
- A variety of course material is used including unknown and new material. The writer will have gone outside of the recommended reading list.
- Citations and references consistently given in appropriate style.
Infographic by Rocket Mill.