We have had over 40 years of amazing games. Arcade machines stretch back to the 1970s and since their birth the gaming industry has evolved into a multi-billion dollar industry. Here’s an easy to digest infographic with some cool stats about the industry!
Best Selling Arcade Games of All Time
- Space Invaders (1978) $13.9 Billion
- Pac-Man (1980) $12.8 Billion
- Street Fighter (1991) 10.6 Billion
- Donkey Kong (1981) 4.4 BillionAst
- eroids (1979) 1.9 Billion
Best Selling Game Consoles of All Time
- PlayStation 2 (2000) 155 Million Units
- Nintendo DS (2004) 154 Million Units
- Nintendo GameBoy (1989) 118.6 Million Units
- PlayStation (1994) 102.49 Million Units
- Nintendo Wii (2006) 101.59 Million Units
- Xbox 360 (2005) 84 Million Units
PlayStation 3 (2006) 83.8 Million Units
- Sony PSP (2004) 82 Million Units
- GameBoy Advance (1994) 81.5 Million Units
- Nintendo Entertainment System (1983) 61.9 Millon Units
Best Selling Games of All Time
- WiiSports (2006) 82.54 Million Units
- Grand Theft Auto Five (2013) 52 Million Units
- Pokemon 1996 44.72 Million Units
- Wee FIT (2007) 43.53 Million Units
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) 40.24 Million Units
- Pokemon Silver & Gold (1999) 34.9 Million Units
- Minecraft (2009) 32.58 Million Units
- WiiSports Resort (2008) 32.50 Million Units
- New Super Mario Bros. (2006) 30.75 Million Units
- Duck Hunt (1984) 28.9 Million Units
- New Super Bros. Wii (2009) 28.65 Million Units
- GTA San Andreas (2004) 7.5 Million Units
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (2011) 26.5 Million Units
- Grand Theft Auto 4 (2008) 25 Million Units
- Call of Duty Black Ops (2010) 25 Million Units
- Kinect Adventures (2010) 25 Million Units
- Sonic 20.9 Million Units
- Elder Scrolls: Skyrim 20 Million Units
- Street Fighter 2 14.9 Million Units
Random Facts About Video Games
- The first ever product released by Sony was a rice cooker.
- The maximum achievable score possible in a game of Pac-Man is 3,333,360 points.
- In the original arcade Donkey Kong game, Mario was called Jumpman and he was a carpenter, not a plumber.
- Sony’s PlayStation was originally planned as a CD-Rom add-on for the Super Nintendo.
- Pokemon Gold & Silver were supposed to mark the end of the series forever.
- In Pokemon Red & Blue, the three legendary birds Arcticuno, Zapdos and Moltres actually mean “One Two Three” in Spanish! Artic-UNO, Zap-DOS, Mol-TRES.
- The multiple Mode in GoldenEye was complete Afterthought and was created in Less than a month.
Infographic by Home Leisure Direct.