Allergy is characterized by an overraction of hte human immune system to a foreign protein subtance (“allergen”) that is eaten, breathed into the lungs, injected or touched. People who have allergies often are sensitive to more than one thing.
Substances that Cause Allergies
- Dust Mites
- Mold Spores
- Pet Dander
- Insect Stings
The Annual Cost of Allergies is estimated to be nearly $14.5 billion.
An estimated 50 million Americans suffer from all types of allergies including indoor / outdoor, food and drugs, latex, insect, skin and eye allergies.
- Itchy, Stuffy Nose
- Clear Nasal Discharge
- Itchy, Watery, Bloodshot Eyes
- Scratchy, Swollen Throat
- Tightness in the Chest
- Itchy, Flasking Red Skin
Allergies are the 5th leading cause of chronic illness.
Having an allergy increases your risk of certain other medical problems:
- Fungal Complications of your sinuses or your lungs
- Atopic Dermattitis (Eczema), sinusitis, and infections of the ears or lungs.
Anaphylactic Reactions to penicillin cause 400 deaths per year.
Every day in America, 30,000 people have an asthma attack. 4,000 people die from asthma each year.
Allergy Safe Zone
- Remove airborne allergens with a high-powered True HEPA air purifier
- Seal pillows, mattresses, box springs and comforters in dust mite proof cases.
- Avoid cloth drape which easily collect allergenes. Use shades or blinds and dust often.
- Keep humidity levels at 50% or less by using a humidifier or dehumidifier.
- Use filters over incoming vents in the bedroom or consider a whole house furnace filter to reduce dust throughout your home or apartment.
- Wash all bedding in hot water every 1 – 2 weeks to eliminate allergens and kill dust mites.
- Use throw rugs, which can be washed frequently, or choose wood flooring instead of wall-to-wall carpeting to reduce allergns buildup. For rugs and carpets, consider using high efficiency vacuum bags or purchasing a true HEPA vaccum cleaner to greatly reduce contamination levels.
Allergies have a genetic component. If only one partent has allergies of any type, chances are 1 in 3 that each child will have an allergy. If both parents have allergies, it is much more likely (7 in 10) that their children will have allergies.
There are no cures for allergies. Allergies can be managed with proper prevention and treatment.
Infographic by Rabbit Air.