As of July 2013, 10 million Toshiba laptops have been sold in the UK and Ireland since 1986.
That works out at around 42 Toshiba laptops sold every hour since 1986. That’s nearly 1 Toshiba laptops for every 7th person in the UK & Ireland or more laptops than there are people in Hungary.
There have been a number of changes and advances since 1986…
1980s T1100 Plus
- 640KB Ram
- Duel 3.5″ diskette Drives
- 640 x 200 screen with ‘supertwist’ Design
- MS-DOS 3.2 Operating System
2010 Qosmio X70
- Up to 32GB Ram
- Blu-Ray Drive
- 17.3″ Full HD Screen
- Windows 8 Operating System
A Selection of Notable Firsts
- T1100 First Mass-Market Laptops
- T3100 First laptop with plasma display and 3.5″ HDD
- T4400SXC First laptop with TFT “VGA” colour LCD panel.
- T2150C First laptop with CD-ROM Drive
- TECRA 750DVD – First laptop with DVD-ROM drive
- TECRA 9000 – First laptop with bluetooth wireless connectivity
- QOSMIO F750 – First 3D laptop without the need for glasses
- Satellite UB40W – First Ultrabook with a cinematic 21:9 display
Heaviest VS The Lightest
The portege R500, weighing just 755g is Toshiba’s lighest ever full-performance laptop, while the heaviest was the T5200C from 1988, which weighted 21lbs (9.5KG) and cost £6,695!
- 1988 T5200C 8.5kg
- 2007 Portege R500 0.7Kg
In 1997 The Tecra 740CDT features Toshiba’s biggest ever TFT colour screen. At an enormous 13.3″ the display is the largest possible in a notebook PC.
Nowadays 13.3″ is one of the more portable laptop sizes available.
Most popular screen sizes
- 1980s – 8.4″
- 1990s – 10.1″
- 2000s – 2010s – 15.8″
Some Things Never Change
Satellite / Satellite Pro C660 has been Toshiba’s best selling laptops since 1986
Based on UK sales figures, the most popular Toshiba laptop features include:
- Black Colour Chasis
- 15.6″ LCD screen
- Intel Pentium Processor
- 320GH HDD
- Windows 7 Home
- 3x USB Ports
- Colour screens, connectivity and cost were the key factors in convincing people to move from desktop PCs to Laptops.
- Screen size (rather than colour screens), connectivity and cost are still key factors when choosing a laptop, even in 2013!
Toshiba Customers over The Years
Toshiba has been used by a diverse range of industries in the UK and Ireland including top national newspapers, airlines, railways, luxury car brands, and even one of our most popular football teams…
Infographic by Toshiba.